November 1, 2016
Unit 3 Curriculum Resources
Unit 3, “Traditions & Celebrations,” is a celebration of our families and all of their unique traditions. Discovering new things about classmates and their families is a natural progression from our “All About Me” and “Communities” units, building upon self-awareness and positive social interactions. We’ll explore traditions from around the world and invite our families into our classrooms to continue to build a community that embraces diversity and celebrates each other’s differences. While the holiday season is full of wonderful sensory experiences, it can also be overwhelming for children as many families travel and have visitors which can disrupt their typical routine. Continue to be the source of love, support, and patience that they need; a theme that is woven throughout the entire unit. As we enter into January, we’ll transition into “Nursery Rhymes,” and “Fairytales,” and continue to build a love for literacy into the new year.
The resources below are vital to successful curriculum implementation and are necessary parts of the program. Enjoy these heart warming weeks as you invite children and families and their traditions into your classroom for the holidays.
- Unit 3 Developmental Goals & Objectives – What are children learning and why are they learning it? This resource is intended to provide additional insight into the curriculum concept map– which can be found in the 2016-2017 Curriculum Implementation Manual.
- Unit 3 Art & Craft Guide– Art in its truest form is an experience in self-expression which allows children to learn more about themselves as much as they learn about the tools and mediums at their disposal! This resource is filled with open art activities, as well as supplemental crafts and gift ideas!
- Unit 3 Recommended Reading– Utilize this list of books virtually available through technology to supplement your classroom library. Nothing is as good as turning the pages of a real book and listening to it come to life, but it’s also nice to offer new voices through online resources like these.
- Unit 3 Infant, 1 Year Old Yoga Guide – This resource is intended to provide teachers with yoga games, activities, and poses to incorporate into their daily routine.
- Unit 3 Infant, 1 Year Old, and Toddler Sign Language Guide – Research shows that children who experience sign language are more likely to develop communication skills sooner. There are so many benefits in giving young children multiple avenues to communicate.
- Unit 3 Toddler, PSPK, SA Yoga Guide – Yoga poses and activities to incorporate into multiple areas of the daily routine!
- Unit 3 HWT Guide – This “Handwriting Without Tears” guide builds upon units 1 & 2, introducing new letter formations while cycling through previously introduced content for reinforcement. View the entire 2016 HWT Sequence and Pacing Guide to better understand this progression.
- Unit 3 Preschool Math Guide – In Unit 3, we’ll encourage ongoing “math talk,” build competence in understanding of “same and different” and 2D shape recognition (concept reinforcement), and introduce and reiterate more and less (concept development).
- Unit 3 Pre-K Math – In Unit 3, we’ll help pre-k children identify measurable attributes of objects, such as length and weight, and describe measurable attributes using correct vocabulary (big, small, short, tall, empty, full, light, heavy.) We’ll also build competencies we worked on in Units 1 & 2 (rote counting, 1:1 correspondence, cardinality, recognizing written numerals, and ongoing math vocabulary.)