December 4, 2009
Tis the Season to be Jolly!
December is a delightful month at Doodle Bugs!. Our centers are bursting with holiday cheer, making it impossible to have a ‘Bah Humbug’ kind of day:
Curriculum News & Views:
Our December curriculum encourages children to discover the magic of the upcoming holiday season as they’re introduced to a variety of cultural traditions and celebrations. We’re starting out with a weeklong celebration of Hanukkah, then grabbing our passports to check out holiday celebrations around the world!
Above all else, we’re especially interested in learning more about how your family celebrates the holidays; sharing information about your family’s celebrations creates a unique home/ school connection for your child. Please let your child’s teacher know if you’d like to share a song, story, recipe or other family tradition.
A good book is always a good gift! Affordable and one-size-fits-all, books provide endless entertainment – any parent of a toddler knows that a well-loved book gets read again, and again, and again! – and create a natural opportunity for adults and children to bond. Mr. Doodle Bug is happy to share his favorite holiday titles:
For Infants & Toddlers:
For All Ages:
- Snowmen at Christmas
- Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad
- Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah
- The First Day of Winter
- The Snowy Day
Planning, shopping, and wrapping make the holiday season almost unbearably busy, but it’s always nice to find some time to relax and enjoy some family fun! Mr. Doodle Bug thinks that you might like to:
- Make a Graham Cracker House: Visit Explore & More Children’s Museum in East Aurora on Saturday, December 12 to create edible houses and enjoy lots of hands-on fun. (all ages)
- Read Stories in the Woods: Visit Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve in Depew on Saturday, December 19 at 2PM to enjoy a seasonal story and nature walk. (ages 4-5, registration required at 716-683-5959)
- Create Holiday Gifts: Visit Tifft Nature Preserve in Buffalo on Sunday, December 20 at 1PM to use recycles and natural materials to create gifts and decorations. (all ages)
- Enjoy Madeline’s Christmas: Visit Strong Museum in Rochester on Sunday, December 6 to enjoy musical selections from Madeline’s Christmas, starring local students. Showtimes at 1PM, 2PM and 3PM. (all ages)
- Have Breakfast with Santa: Visit Seneca Park in Rochester to enjoy breakfast with jolly old St. Nick and his animal friends; weekends through December 20. (all ages, reservations required at 585-336-7217) Zoo
- Have a Doodle Day: Join us to celebrate the debut of our brand new Doodle Bugs! center in Clarence. Open House is scheduled from 10AM – 7PM on January 13, 14, and 15. (all ages)